Translate This Page

English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
by : BTF

Monday 20 June 2011

Raw Vegan Sushi

I've always loved sushi... the little parcels of deliciousness, dipped in soy sauce and wasabi paste, little flakes of ginger... oooh! Yummy!
So naturally I wanted to make a raw version.
OK, so I had to make a couple of exceptions, owing to the paucity of availability of raw ingredients locally. The Nori sheets had been toasted. I couldn't find raw, but will continue to look. I used mustard powder because I couldn't find the wasabi powder (I know it's somewhere...) and I did use soy sauce, which I don't suppose is raw, but other than that... here's what I made:


Nori sheets cut lengthways into four. I used three sheets for two people.

Avocado paste:
I avocado, mashed
1 quarter of a small onion, finely chopped
1cm red chilli, finely chopped
1 handful mixed raw seeds
a pinch of lentil spreouts
Mix everything together and place a teaspoonful at one end of the nori strip.

Grate 1 carrot, 1 beetroot, 1 apple.
Place a pinch of each (or vary for each wrap) next to the avocado paste.

Chop the tip off asparagus ad add this to the nori strip.
Add a few pieces of a finely sliced chard leaf.

Slice some small pieces of red and green pepper and add a couple of these to the strip.


Roll us the whole strip, carefully keeping everything within and sticking the end with a drop of apple juice if necessary.

To accompany this, I mixed some mustard powder in a little avocado dip (see my recipe here)
I should, of course, have used wasabi powder and I will next time.

(Try to ignore the big crack in my old plate! I can't throw it out - it's too pretty!)

I also soaked some seaweed salad and a chopped sun-dried tomato with a little chopped fresh coriander in a drop of soy sauce and some hemp oil for a few minutes, before spooning it over the sushi and a few extra lentil sprouts.

Next time I make this, I would like to add some grated ginger and devise some alternative fillings, but this was a good first effort. 

Mr H, who had never seen sushi being made before, was particularly impressed, giving me quite a serotonin hit, which always boosts the flavour of anything! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment