Translate This Page

English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
by : BTF

Wednesday 22 June 2011

Houmous Gets the Raw Treatment

Raw Houmous.

Houmous is lovely. Well, I think so, anyway! It's been a mainstay of my diet for many years. Mr H and I get through loads of the stuff and I started making our own a couple of years ago, so it was obvious that I needed to figure out a raw version.
The only real change I have made to my original recipe is to use sprouted chick peas, instead of boiled. The preparation takes a little longer, but the results are even more yummy.
Oh, and I use a bit less garlic now since our raw tastes are stronger!

1 cup chick peas, soaked overnight and sprouted until tiny shoots appear (1-2 days, depending on how hot the weather is)
2 dessertspoons raw tahini
1 dessertspoon lemon juice
1 dessertspoon olive or hemp oil
Garlic to taste (I usually use 1 small clove for this amount.)
A drop of water if needed to facilitate blending

Simply blend everything until smooth. This makes quite a lot and you can freeze some if necessary and thaw it later.

I sometimes add one or some of the following for added flavour:

Sea salt, black pepper, soy sauce, chopped olives, chopped tomatoes, chilli, paprika, cayenne pepper, chopped peppers, mustard... but you might think of others!

PS. The other day we were in Infinity Foods in Brighton and bought some raw houmous which had various spices in, including coriander and turmeric. It was to-die-for! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment