Translate This Page

English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
by : BTF

Thursday 28 July 2011

Getting a Bit of Culture

I've been hearing and reading a lot about Cultured Vegetables.
Now, to be honest, I had no idea what these were, but when the universe keeps banging on about something, I have to sit up and listen.
About a month ago I read a Sauerkraut recipe in one of Shazzie's books: Detox Your World (it's a great book, by the way - I highly recommend it)
My first thought on reading the recipe was "Eeuw! No way! I'm not eating rotting vegetables, thank you very much! I'll have something else."
And that was that. I left it, until I saw this interesting article on Cultured Vegetables, which explained it all to me. I had one of those "Aha" moments (and no, not a flashback to the 80s pop group!) suddenly it made sense, but I still felt a bit anxious about making my own.
What if I did it wrong? Could I accidentally introduce a pathogenic bacteria and give it room to grow?
However, a quick look at the price of Cultured Vegetables convinced me that I had to make my own.
I found this useful tutorial and had a go.
I used cabbage and cucumber (keep it simple to start with,) and a couple of lettuce leaves to keep the vegetables under the water. Here is my Sauerkraut in a Kilner jar. I 'pop' the gas 2 or 3 times a day and it should be ready to eat on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment