Translate This Page

English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
by : BTF

Monday 1 August 2011

Salade de Marmande

After all that dehydrated food of the past week, I was craving something fresh and pure.
We had this gorgeous Marmande tomato in the organic veg box this week. Just one, but oooh! How lovely:

I knew I didn't want to process it, so I sliced in neatly and made this simple layered salad:


* first, a handful of baby spinach leaves,
* next, a spoonful of fresh home-made raw hummus,
* then the Marmande tomato, sliced (I had to share mine with Mr H, but there was plenty!)
* finally a couple of spoonfuls of the Cultured Vegetables I made last week
a drizzle of olive oil completed the dish.... Mmm, just what we wanted!



Dehydrated food is all very well and really does add texture and interest to food, as well as making some things more edible (eg aubergines) but as with everything - in moderation. It would be maybe not dangerous, but certainly unwise to rely too heavily on using the dehydrator, or any other appliance, in making a meal. Sometimes it's good to just get back to easing fresh food. In fact, our diest should consist mainly of fresh vegetables, so no wonder my body was craving that juicy purple tomato!



The Cultured Vegetables are really delicious. I couldn't believe it! I thought they would smell or taste a bit 'off' but they are soft and sweet. I confess I have always had difficulty with raw cabbage, but this makes it palatable and more easily digested. I recommend it. Easy to make, easy to store (pop the jar in the fridge to slow down the process once fermentation has started) and so delicious to eat!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I am best known to you as cj_from_england, and I thought as we were buddies I'd check out your site(s). Not only am I pleased to find a fellow vegan in West Sussex, but I was completely gobsmacked to see that we both have the same old plates as well! I love them and have a pile of side plates and dinner plates, some in better nick than others. I think I got them from a charity shop, but it's so long ago now I can't remember. They are lovely, aren't they, so cheerful and spring-like? I wonder what else we have in common!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete