Translate This Page

English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
by : BTF

Friday 22 April 2011

Lebkuchen - German Gingerbread

I am a big fan of silicone bakeware, for two reasons:
Firstly it doesn't require "greasing" so my recipes remain as low-fat as possible and secondly, the "pans" are easy to clean and store. For someone who hates washing-up as much as I do, this is a bonus. Plus, space is a premium in Polly's Kitchen, what with all the vintage china and all, so baking pans which squish down... well, there's no contest.
I'm going on about silicone because last week I bought a copy of Baked and Delicious, a new publication comprising a baking magazine (*wow*) and items of silicone bakeware. I won't buy every issue because I don't need all the pans (or all the recipes, for that matter,) but I will get the odd issue, as they come available. Last week's came with some cupcake cases, which Ive wanted for ages, so I'll make some cupcakes soon.
One of the recipes caught my eye and I have adapted it slightly to make it vegan* and nut-free. I am sharing it here, but must apologise... no photos! They were scoffed too quickly for me to take pictures - a testiment to their tastiness, but trust me, they look as lovely as they taste!

Lebkuchen

Ingredients:
325g/12oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder or bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
zest of 1 lemon or orange, or equivalent chopped candied peel
200ml/7fluid oz organic honey* or agave nectar
85g/3oz vegetable margarine (eg Pure)

Method:
Mix the dry ingredients and lemon/orange peel in a bowl.
Melt the margarine and honey in a pan and mix together.
Add the honey/margarine to the dry indredients and mix thoroughly.

Mould spoonfuls of the mixture into small balls and place on a baking tray.
Press the balls into circles and bake in an oven (180℃/350℉) for about 15 minutes.

You can ice these or add nuts, pieces of chopped ginger or icing sugar to the top, but you'll have to be quick, because if your lot are anything like mine - they'll be gone in minutes!



* I have used honey, but to be truly vegan, use agave nectar or fructose syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment